Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Of Hydrangeas and Fireflies

Hydrangeas

______One day, I would like to live in a very lovely little house. This little house will sit alone in the mountains near the forest's edge and overlook a gentle field of wheat, and its aged stone exterior will be crawling with eager vines of ivy. This little house will be surrounded by hydrangeas in magnificent shades of pink, purple, and blue, and be filled with cozy leather furniture, mason jar lighting, and Navajo print rugs. From the early morning until the late afternoon, the sun will stream in through its tall glass windows and drape the interior with soft panels of light. This little house will have wooden floors and walls that are glazed to a sheen and squeaky to the touch. It will be tidy, but not always. The wood will have blemishes here and there, just as human faces do, and that is okay, if not desired.

______Some nights outside this little house, there will be fireflies dancing in rhythm to the twinkling of the stars; on other nights, the fireflies will seek shelter since there will be rain that pitter patters against the roof and makes all of Earth's creatures fall into a deep slumber. But most nights, the fireflies will be there, and we will be outside lazing by a campfire that lights our tired faces with orange, and we will listen fearlessly to the wolves as their howling voices are carried by the wind.


Hydrangeas2


______The mornings at this little house will be serene; there will be fog enshrouding it, nearly consuming it, weaving in and out of the pine trees surrounding it, quieting every living thing that inhabits the forest around it. We will rise when the sun meets the horizon. Our eyes will be sleepy, but our minds awake, and we will eat an early breakfast and then ride through the forest by bicycle, whipping through its veiny trails like neurons through the brain. The fog will soon lift, and we will watch it do so. The moon will fade. The sun will pull away from the horizon and become full and bright in the open sky. A new day will begin, and it will be pleasant and rich with unspoken adventure, all because of this lovely little house on such a perfect piece of land.

Hydrangeas4

Hydrangeas3

______(So, are you sick of hydrangeas yet? Take a wild guess as to what my favorite flower is... guwahaha)

15 comments:

LyddieGal said...

I think the hydrangeas are beautiful, and your house and soon to be life sounds completely perfect.

Theresa said...

The description you wrote sounds like a dream. It hits quite close to home to my absolute ideal little house in my head. Wonderful post! xx

monica said...

ur dream house sounds like a perfect retreat

The Dragonfruit said...

Ali...you are a writer. Seriously, you've got me thinking of visiting you one day in your dream house now! Beautiful descriptions. I love the part where you said the wood would have some blemishes like a human face does. Adds such endearment and character to your future home ;)

Enter to win a $40 gift voucher to Ministry of Retail!
Trendy Teal

Ivana said...

This is such a beautiful post! I love hydrangeas and your photos are simply stunning! ANd I love the little dream that comes along :)

xx Ivana
Macarons and Pearls

Marie McGrath (The Joy of Fashion) said...

Hydrangears are just beautiful! I wish I had a little house like the one you described, it sounds so peaceful ;)

www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Love the color!!!

http://themadcreationist.blogspot.it/

Kisses

Giuseppe

Nanthini said...

Ali, such a wonderful post. You took our minds as canvases and painted on them in A lovely way that it stuck on me while I was strolling! Here's my current post http://nanthinism.blogspot.com/2012/06/tilted-hydrangeas.html
& credits for inspiration goes to you! <3

Rory said...

Wow, looks like you have it all planned out! I haven't the slightest idea what or who i want to be when i grow up...much less WHERE! But i do know that i want to have a lot of clothes ;)
I like hydrangeas too! They're my second favorite flower (to peonies!)
Rory
www.WearAboutsBlog.com
International 10 winners leather bracelet giveaway!!!

E said...

I, for one, am not. i could stare at these gorgeous images and contemplate the nature of the universe all day long (if not for the dreaded "job" - bleh!).

This post also brought a little tear to my eye because I remember having similar daydreams not too long ago, and now I have my little dream cottage, complete with hydrangeas and Navajo rugs (no aged stone exterior as of yet, but a girl can dream :-).

joy said...

ahh that sounds like a wonderful place. I would love to bicycle everyday and live in a small house near the forest. And these pictures are really pretty, hydrangeas are so beautiful. I have a few in my backyard :P

Louisa said...

What a beautiful dream to have! Sounds amazing, and the photos are so pretty.

Wardrobe Girls said...

sounds SO dreamy. love the idea of that little haven.

xo,

wardrobe girls

www.wardrobesimetandliked.com

Amber Schmidt said...

What a dream. You have such an artistic mind, Ali.

This is funny because I just wrote about my dream house, too. <3 Once we're all situation, we'll visit one another, listen to jazz, drink wine! x

Teddi said...

you are a really fantastic writer! i like your hydrangea photos to to go with your dream house story.